As a youth ministry, how are you using the Olympics in your ministry? Are you using Olympic references? I’d love to hear what you are doing or not doing, and why.
Here are 5 ways to use the Olympics in youth ministry:
- Theme Night – Turn a Wednesday night into an Olympic event. Decorate your youth room with flags. Discuss why the Olympics are so popular. Make and give out random medals.
- Hold your own Olympics – Have students form countries, complete with flag and national anthem. Set up team games and keep track of win totals. Make it big and make it fun.
- Illustrations – Use something that happened at the Olympics in your lesson. Talk about the athletes attitudes, their work habits, their training and the competition.
- Olympic Viewing Party – Invite students to your house (or another house) and hold an Olympics Party. It would be very similar to a Super Bowl Party. Just use that time to get to know the students and their friends.
- Video Announcements – Take some various & random footage from the Olympics and edit them to work for some video announcements. You could just add voice overdub or actually edit the footage, adding visuals or words over the footage.
What other thoughts/ideas do you have?