“Youth look to the church to show them something. Most of the time we have offered them pizza.”
taken from The Godbearing Life by Kenda Creasy Dean & Ron Foster
First off, this quote makes me smile every time I read it.
I had a conversation along these lines lately with one of the youth coaches. The students are yearning for something bigger than themselves. They want the church to show them what God is like. Sadly, there are times all they see is games and silly events or pizza.
Not all ministries are the same and not all students are being offered the same things.
Some students get:
– silly games
– upfront craziness or goofiness
– donuts in the morning and/or food at night
– only “cool” people get to do ministry
– popularity = leadership
– love lived out in daily situations
– a great adult who pours into their life
– a chance to see all generations serving together
– neglected and/or the leftovers
– love for God taught and applied
What are you showing your students?